Sunday, March 29, 2009

I'm gonna make you my special lady

Does anyone watch the Showtime show "The United States of Tara"? I love this. I have always been fascinated by Multi-personality disorder. While I find it bizarre, I have never questioned the possibility of the reality of this disorder. When I go to the dentist and know I have a painful and tedious procedure to endure, I go to a different place in my head. Imagine dealing with a horribly traumatic event every single day. The whole dissociative disorder makes complete sense to me.

The show is written by Diablo Cody and I am impressed with her departure from "Juno". I was worried that she would not be able to produce something different enough from the witty reparte' that she demonstrated in Juno that would keep her interesting and current, but here I am.

Tara has gone off of her medication in order to get a grip of her alters. She has a new one, "gimme". Gimme is a a personification of her id. This feral aspect of her personality seems to me as a step closer to understanding the issues that brought Tara to this place. I cannot wait to see how things develop. Tara is getting to the point where she is experiencing things along with her alters. To me this seems as a step towards Tara losing her alters and just living her life as Tara.

In any case, this show is brilliant. The acting is fantastic and the story is great.

No comments: